Sunday, October 21, 2007

Saturday Record Shopping Ritual Revisited

Recently I have been missing...and craving the ol' ritualistic record hunt that I used to religiously perform every Saturday with E-Beth and Erica. It was something we each *had* to do (weekly) and could always share our nerdy enthusiasm with each other, unashamed.

Since I became smitten with Fitzy (and Saturdays used to be the only *day* we could spend together ...once upon a time), and since my two coffee-clatching, musichead buddies have since skipped town, I have neglected my need and have only sporadically purchased music in the store, proper.

But this week I realized I had the pocket change to splurge and get the drugs I needed. Fitzy joyfully accompanied me on my mission and I scored 5 discs and one piece of vinyl!

Oh, and to address you, mystery blogger: one of my purchases included the phenomenal "Naturally" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Fitzy had just acquired his fave single of late, "How Long Do I Have to Wait for You?", had me hear it that morning and we danced. And I fell in love with it, and knew I had to buy it that day along with these other treasures:

The new Dan Wilson, "Free Life." Natch.

The 'Mats "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?" Just cuz. I got the fever and I never properly owned the two new singles. Right.

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, "This is Somewhere." I know I was superfucking lazy about writing about Austin...Grace Potter and her boyfriends (ha) were one of those pleasant surprises of a festival find. Soulful vocals, wailing guitar solos and scorching sexual stage chemistry -- I had to follow up.

Gov't Mule, "Mighty High." They headline a show with Grace on Halloween! Homework (the best kind.)

The vinyl? Arctic Monkeys (shocked?) 10" single for "Fluorescent Adolescent" which contains three (!) songs I have never heard. Righteous.

No comments: