Thursday, December 15, 2005

"if THERE was a wayyyayyay"


Darlene Love, baby. That's all I need to make x-mas really x-mas. If I hear that powerhouse voice belt "Baby please come home," I'm good for the whole year. Everything about this 2 minute and 47 second record is perfect: the way it starts, jumping right into the chorus; the sublime sax solo-- the basis of virtually (I might be exaggerating) E Street Band sax solo; the way she reaches every high note; the dramatic piano pounding bit at the end-- all of it completely gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

My dad and I are soooo not religious or "into" Christmas in any way, but the ONE tradition we hold dear is watching Ms Darlene Love on Letterman every year. {This year's appearance will be on the Late Show Friday, December 23rd. WATCH IT.}

Love is one of the great, fucked over, unsung heroines that worked under the great, fucked up, brilliant asshole, Phil Spector. If you're unfamiliar with her name--I guarantee you know her voice and the wonderful songs she stamped with her signature sound. The list includes: "He's A Rebel," (one of MY all-time favorite songs, hands down!), "(He's Sure) The Boy I'm Going To Marry," "Da Doo Ron Ron," and tons more.

This all came to me, cuz, duh--yeah, it's December and Paul emailed me something Kate Sullivan (one of my all-time favorite writers, she's a music columnist at the L.A. Weekly) wrote a little piece, "Christmas Music for People Who Like Music" (her column can be found at: http://www.laweekly.com/ink/06/04/rock-sullivan.php)

No comments: