Thursday, December 21, 2006

"Sinatra was swinging/ all the drunks, they were singin'"

For some reason The Replacements = snowy, wintery, x-mastime in downtown MPLS, to me...(I think it's the whole "Skyway" thing.) I *needed* to hear Mr. Westerberg and co. while I was walking through the slush tonight. It felt so right.

Before I made my way out in the night, a real life musical event made me take my headphones outta my ears. I heard the most awesome x-mas song I could've possibly heard at that moment, it penetrated through my iPod! A dread-locked busker chick was playing accordion in the skyway...and out came the sounds of "Fairytale of New York," The Pogues' wonderfully, comically, conflicted romance/x-mas tune. So fucking refreshing, cuz I really could live the rest of my life without hearing Vince Gill sing all religiously in public, and all the rest of it, really.

I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face and I threw my money down.

No comments: