Thursday, December 07, 2006

that stuffy time of year...award nominations!

The Grammy noms were announced today.

I got all giddy when I saw my lads made it--in the States, in the usually stuffy, out-of-touch world of the Grammys.

Not surprisingly, the Grammys chose safe, mostly bo-rrrring choices, as per usual. That abhorrent James Blunt song is fucking all over the noms. Yuck. And, why, why, why:
Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal :My Humps; The Black Eyed Peas

I truly feel that that song just might be the worst pop song of all time.

This is a fun race, though:

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)
Ain't No Other Man
Christina Aguilera
FUCK YES.
Unwritten
Natasha Bedingfield
You Can Close Your Eyes
Sheryl Crow
Stupid Girls
Pink
Black Horse And The Cherry Tree
KT Tunstall


If Pink or KT won, I'd be shocked, but extremely happy to see either of them get it. Xtina better nail it, though.

The Best Surprises:

The Arctic Monkeys got nommed for Best Rock Instrumental Performance with thieir non-LP track, “Chun Li's Flying Bird Kick.” WHAT THE FUCK? That is too awesome.

Neil Young got several! “Living With War” got him a nom for Best Rock Album and
“Lookin' For A Leader" got nominated for Best Rock Song (the Killers also made it with their powerhouse of a pop song, “When You Were Young”).


and, holy shit do I want to see my lads take Best Alternative Music Album:

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Arctic Monkeys
At War With The Mystics
The Flaming Lips
St. Elsewhere
Gnarls Barkley
Show Your Bones
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Eraser
Thom Yorke

No comments: