Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hello 2009!

I wanted to get my shit together and write about 2008--do a couple lists, perhaps...but I never got my shit together in blog-form.

Influenced by Festivus, and the airing of grievances, I would like to shed 2008 (and not list it up) and look forward. So, these are the things I am looking forward to, on the pop culture horizon:

*The Inauguration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the music and celebration to accompany it, of course.

* LOST starting next week. Yes, I have become a devotee. It is intense, my new found love for the show. I was very hesitant to even get involved (cuz I was warned of the addiction risk: oh, and it is very, very real), but I was sucked in. I can safely say I have never seen such richly developed characters on tv. Ever. Oh, and the plot insanity is one-of-a-kind, too. It is a fucking long-ass MOVIE, really. It's really not very tv, at all... (it's not HBO, though, either. heh.)


*oh, and this might be the key to unlock the mysteries of the island and make you laugh thinking about this guy waxing his chest. hoo-ah!

*Michael Franti and Spearhead at the State in February!! Joyful, positive, political and passionate lust for life kinda dance party, baby. He is the closest thing to Strummer we have right now... word.


*Idol. (when auditions are over, that is) And the potluck fun that we enjoy with our friends. Such great cooks, my friends. sigh. Oh, and the auditions have had some hope and joy, which is awesome. So far, I like this guy...a lot. (his name's Asa, he has a precious young daughter and he's a marching band director. I shit you not.)

*Top Chef! More tv, I know, I know...what have I become? I fucking LOVE this show. It makes me appreciate food and cooking in a way I didn't know I could. Sometimes it gets snarky and highbrow, but really, I just love everything about it: Padma, the creative challenges that never cease to impress me, the fact that this season is in NYC, the rich and diverse personalities that only chefs can deliver and Padma...can you believe she was *married* to Salman Rushdie!? Kinda mind-blowing, huh?



*Story of the Sea's record release show at the end of the month. Yeeeeeeah!

* Ice skating, sledding and snow-storm exploring to beat the cold-as-a-muthfucka-winter bullshit blues!

***And, I need to give a shout out appreciation to the Current and it's new morning MUSIC programming. It starts my day out oh-so-right. I love hearing the gentle voice of Steve Seel to ease me into the morning. He's nerdy and funny and most importantly, he doesn't talk too much. I don't always love what he loves, but that's just fine. When I get to hear Beck, Sharon Jones and the Verve on a single, cold, shitty early morning-- it makes the medicine go down in the most delightful way.

No comments: