Tuesday, August 23, 2005

hodge podge


Now reading "Old Gods Almost Dead."
By 1961:
1. Brian Jones has already impregnated three different women.
2. Keef is shy, generally unliked, a geeky Chuck Berry fan and completely in the shadows of both Mick and Brian.
3. Mick is already shagging a bandmate's woman. (Brian's girlfriend).
4. Musician blokes are calling Mick "Marilyn Monroe" behind his back. Ha.
5. The boys are so poor they steal eggs and stuff for survival. Sometimes Keef's mum comes over and brings 'em food and clean clothes. This bit made Jessica remind me (again) that I should read the bio of Motley Crue. I will continue to resist.

Today's "round-up" (as Paul S. would say):

For some reason, this seems to be the most...well, wrong cover ever imaginable. I 'spose it's not all that horrific, it's just that I cantstand Chris Golden God/I'mjustaregularbloke Martin anymore. I just can't take it.

Coldplay Pay Tribute To Johnny Cash
http://www.nme.com/news/113453.htm


Way to go Babs! Allright, Mick!!
This War, As Set To Their Music
Barbra Streisand, the Rolling Stones and Green Day have songs and videos relating to the conflict in Iraq.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-antiwarpopaug21,0,714508.story?coll=sfla-features-headlines

Finally watched the Finale of All Finales last night: The end of Six Feet Under. It was...perfect. Claire "driving into her future," with the images and dates of all the major characters (future) deaths was exactly what the fans needed--ultimate closure. I couldn't have asked for more. Alan Ball wrote and directed his complicated, brilliant heart out.

The best bits: the precious, totally-genuine laugh of Maya with Ruth and the stuffed monkey, Claire's dream with Nate and the song "I Just Want to Celebrate" (in all white, black shades, silly, joyous, dancing and lip syncing) is offically iconic and soul-warming, Nate's final comforting, go-out-into-the-world smile to David.
And this is cool; it's Claire's artwork that they featured in all the seasons. http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/artwork/
I Just Want To Celebrate
Rare Earth

I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life
I put my faith in the people
But the people let me down
So I turned the other way
And I carry on, anyhow
That's why I'm telling you

I just want to celebrate, yeah, yeah
I just want to celebrate, yeah, yeah
Another day of living,
I just want to celebrate another day of life

Had my hand on the dollar bill
And the dollar bill blew away
But the sun is shining down on me
And it's here to stay
That's why I'm telling you

I just want to celebrate, yeah, yeah
Another day of living, yeah
I just want to celebrate another day of living
I just want to celebrate another day of life

Don't let it all get you down,
Don't let it turn you around and around
And around and around

Well, I can't be bothered with sorrow
And I can't be bothered with hate, no, no
I'm using up my time by feeling fine, every day
That's why I'm telling you I just want to celebrate
Aw, yeah
I just want to celebrate yeah yeah
Another day of living, yeah yeah
I just want to celebrate another day of livin', yeah
I just want to celebrate another day of life

Don't let it all get you down, no, no
Don't let it turn you around and around,
And around and around, and around
Around round round
'round and around round round round
don't go 'round

No comments: