Monday, October 24, 2005

she calls my name



My worlds of obsession (just two of the many) collided last night. On Little Steven's show, he played one of the all-time great songs about heroin, by the too-good-to-last band from Liverpool, the La's.

There She Goes
"There she goes/ There she goes again/Racing through my brain/ And I just can't contain, this feeling that remains /There she blows/There she blows again/Pulsing through my vein/And I just can't contain, this feeling that remains/There she goes/There she goes again/She calls my name, pulls my train/And no-one else can heal my pain/But I just can't can't contain, this feeling that remains /There she goes/ There she goes again/Chasing down my lane/ And I just can't contain, this feeling that remains/There she goes/There she goes/There she goes"

I gotta add, I met John Power (former bass player of the La's, lead vox and guitar for Cast) when I was 15. He was, by FAR, the most polite, precious musician of any level of fame I have ever met. Granted, it probably has something to with the fact that he lead Cast in a vaguely Christian rock way... He was my height, maybe even shorter (damn, those Brits are wee) and he had this huge mop of curly hair, that fantastic Northern accent and he was just fucking sweet.

I just remember thinking how funny and surreal it was when that terrible Christian group Six Pence...whoever covered the La's ode to heroin. I think it was used in a goddamn shampoo commercial, too. Hahaha. They also used it in "So I Married an Axe Murderer," but that was just awesome. Especially because Mike Meyer's parents are from Liverpool, and may or may not have been heroin addicts. Sorry.
Also, I actually found a site, "songs about heroin"! ha! http://opioids.com/heroin/hmusic.html

No comments: