Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Year (as it were)

2005 brought residual depression from the Presidential election [as the Boondocks sadly noted after Katrina: "What was it that people didn't like Kerry again?" "He windsurfed."] but it also brought hope in the form of the radio: The Current. With it, as Jessica said, brought Progressive Times. Hope and excitement for the future. Like, if they play Ella Fitzgerald and The Only Ones on the fucking radio--anything is possible. I also happened to break up with my boyfriend of four years in Jan. '05, which actually brought music back into the forefront of my life, which I am really, really thankful for.
So, perfunctory as it may feel, I did feel compelled.
Here ya go:

*um, I warn ya, I prolly forgot loads of stuff that came out this year that I loved. oh well.

Best Albums of 2005:

Ike Reilly "Junkie Faithful"

Kasabian (self titled)

Kaiser Chiefs "Employment"

Bloc Party "Silent Alarm"

Beck "Guero"

Bruce Springsteen "Devils & Dust"

Fiona Apple "Extraordinary Machine"

Antony and the Johnsons "I Am a Bird Now"

BRMC "Howl"

The Caesars "Paper Tigers"

Oasis "Don't Believe The Truth"

The White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan"

Best Films of the Year:

"Brokeback Mountain"
"King Kong"
"Jesus is Magic"
"Walk The Line"
"40-Year-Old Virgin"
"Capote"

Best TV:

"Extras"
"Six Feet Under"
"No Direction Home" Dylan doc, done by Marty.
"Rescue Me"
"Nip/Tuck"
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
"Everybody Hates Chris"
Tony Bourdain’s "No Reservations"
Maureen Dowd all over the place.

Robert Plant on Charile Rose.

Most Memorable Shows:

The White Stripes, The Orpheum. Because Jack White is still the most talented, sexy, passionate, FORCEful guitar players I have ever seen. And I love his songs. I can’t get enough.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, First Ave. Mary Lucia interviewed him before hand and even though she ultimately kept her cool, she came off like a smitten school girl with Ted. With tight jeans, skinny legs and the sweats he came off like a modern day speedy, Jam-era Paul Weller. His cover of "Dancing in the Dark" was sublime.

Atmosphere, First Ave. Not because I particularly dig the music, but because my dear friend Jessica took me and opened my eyes to the Local Sensation for my First Time.

Bruce Springsteen, Xcel Center. Cuz I cried, like a fool, twice.

Le Tigre, First Ave. So many young, righteous fans. Enlightening. Inspiring. And it’s got a beat and I can dance to it.

Beck, Roy Wilkins. My millionth (actually 7th) time seeing the fucker, and I still love him. The Dinner Table Scene still takes the cake.

Others:

Best Radio Show: Lil’ Steven’s Underground Garage

Best Mix I Ever Got: (even if it was for Jim originally) The 13 Mix, by Julia.

Best Musical Image: Madonna, in heels, pink underwear and Farrah Fawcett hair humping a large boom box in the fantastic video for "Hung Up." Followed by hip pumps and hand rolls, it’s pure dance-sex-music-gay-man-anthem-New York-club-Saturday Night Fever-style; y’know, Pure Madonna.

*Runner Up: Shakira. Dancing and singing. Anywhere, anytime. Damn.

Best gift I ever bought myself (this year or EVER): My Beloved iPod.

Things I Should Have Been Listening to My Whole Life But Just Discovered/Realized The Greatness of This Year:

Link Wray
Sonic Youth
The Misfits
Peaches
The Birthday Party
Elvis Presley
Chuck Berry

Undying Love/Obsessions Renewed By Proving Their Worth With New Releases:

Madonna, "Confessions on a Dance Floor"

Bruce Springsteen "Devils and Dust" and the reissuing & 30th anniversary of "Born to Run"
album as well as live performances on DVD from the Hammersmith Odeon show. (Bruce battles that fucking hat)

Neil Young, "Prairie Wind"

Robert Plant, "Mighty Rearranger"

Rolling Stones, "A Bigger Bang"


PS These are Songs That I Keep Listening To at the moment.....

*brought to you with the assistance of the iPod feature, "25 Most Played Songs"

"Listen to Your Heart" Roxette (my first cassette I ever bought myself)
"Paper Tigers" Caesars
"C’mon, C’mon" The Von Bondies
"Suspicious Minds" Elvis
"29 Palms" Robert Plant"
"Solitary Man" Neil Diamond
"We Can Work It Out" Beatles (so Paul)
"Nothing Really Matters" Madge
"Be My Enemy" The Departure
"Some Kinda Hate" The Misfits
"Kara Dean" Ike Reilly




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well done Riplinger. well done.

awwww. reading your lists makes me relive all the good times we had. 2005 was a good one.