Monday, September 12, 2005

looks like the 40s, like Europe in rubble


I think I have an unhealthy obsession with all things from the World War II era. I just re-watched one of my favorite films from my childhood, "Hope & Glory," about this great family living in midst of bombed-out London and...I found myself (like so many times before) wanting to be a part of it. Of course being a total anglophile in general, putting that together with recently reading about the Stones' and Beatles' growing up during WWII in England probably helps quite a bit.

Scraping by, going crazy over actually having jam (course it's German jam--great scene), having your little bro draw a fake line up the back of your leg to fool the hot soldier's eye into thinking you've got nylons on, (but you really don't because they're just not available), dancing and falling in love with those soldiers, losing next door neighbors during an air raid, etc. Why is this so appealing to me? It's mostly the Hollywood then, the hair, the clothes, woman are starting to be seen in the workplace because of the war, Eleanor Roosevelt, progressive changes all around, all to be almost obliterated by the stifling, frightening 1950s. Looking back, not having lived it myself, it seems as if socially, things were more progressive when the war was on then afterwards. As hard as that is to believe... Of course thousands of people lost their lives and oh, yeah, there's the fucking Holocaust. So, don't get me wrong, I know that "the good ol' days" never existed anywhere, ever. I know, I know.

Anyway, I bought this great dress for a swanky wedding I'm going to. It's really 1945 and I adore it. The plan is (with help from loyal comrades, Jessica and Elizabeth) to do up my hair all Heather Graham in Swingers, or maybe, if we can handle it, Rita Hayworth style! (see above). Rarrr. We'll see.

No comments: