Thursday, February 02, 2006

I keep having dreams that I am in Mexico

and I’ve never been there.

Disconcerting and disappointing:
I tried downloading Maureen Dowd’s column in podcast form from the New York Times’ website. I don’t know why, since I always make time to read it, la, la, la.

So, I downloaded yesterday’s column and first of all, it’s not her reading it which really cheesed me off. Should I have been surprised? I really was disappointed; I thought that was the main attraction... But I’m probably just naive. Instead it was this really boring, dry MPR sounding woman that made me so annoyed I had to cut it short. Also, I realized that it was sacrilegious to have a Maureen column "read to me"-- like a child. It shouldn’t be read aloud. It is completely meant to be read in your head. Maybe you imagine her voice, if you know it (a voice that I have grown to love) or maybe you just appreciate the written word and you like the way the ink looks. I do.

Also, a note about fucking maddening MPR talking heads or journalists or whatever (sacred cows, my ass). AUGH. Stop saying "DOUBLE YOUUU"it makes me and Jessica CRAZY. I actually have been weaning myself off of listening to it in the a.m. because I realized it was totally dragging me down and making me dreary. I had to cut that loose and listen to some Good Morning Music like: Oasis, The Dubliners and Le Tigre.

Things to look forward to in the near future:

the weekend
BRMC at the Varsity next week
Bruce, Madonna and Gorillaz on the Grammys
"Munich"
Spring* (!?)
New albums from Richard Ashcroft and that one British band with the 19-year-olds.

*I just keep wishing it was spring and it was rainy and warm and awesome outside. Or maybe just 1979 London and I was living with Paul Simonon and having his baby.

This song is mega in my head for several reasons. I dedicate my thoughts to my friends who have been Culture Shocked.

Safe European Home
Jones/Strummer

Well I just got back an’ I wish I never leave now (where’d you go?)
Who dat Martian arrival at the airport yeah? (Where’d you go?)
How many local dollars for a local anaesthetic? (Where’d you go?)
The Johnny on the corner was very sympathetic (where’d you go?)
I went to the place where every white face is an invitation to robbery
An’ sitting here in my safe European home
I don’t wanna go back there again

Wasn’t I lucky and wouldn’t it be loverly? (Where’d you go?)
Send us all cards, and have a lay in on Sunday (where’d you go?)
I was there for two weeks, so how come I never tell (where’d you go?)
That natty dread drinks at the Sheraton Hotel yeah? (Where’d you go?)
I went to the place where every white face is an invitation to robbery
An’ sitting here in my safe European homeI don’t wanna go back there again

They got the sun and they got the palm tress (where’d you go?)
They got the weed, and they got the taxies (where’d you go?)
Whoa, the harder they come, n’ the home of ol’ Bluebeat (where’d you go?)
Yes I’d stay and be a tourist but can’t take the gun play (where’d you?)
I went to the place where every white face is an invitation to robbery
An’ sitting here in my safe European home
I don’t wanna go back there again
Yeah?
Rudie come from Jamaica Rudie can’t fail
.....
Rudie come European home
Twenty Four Track European home
Yes he come and yes he go knows what Rudie knows

No comments: