Wednesday, August 23, 2006

In this world we're just beginning/ To understand the miracle of living

When I was a kid, about 8 or so, I began to discover my budding Atheism. "Heaven is a Place on Earth," (the only solo hit for Belinda Carlisle) came out in 1987 and I completely thought it was subversively (or,* blatantly*, to me) about Atheism! I thought, wow, this is a love song that's saying this is as good as it gets. This is why love and LIFE are both so incredible and precious. There is no fucking afterlife, so let's whoop it up now and realize that yes, young Brianna, heaven is an attainable state right here, right now, on this earth.

It kinda blew my mind and it really comforted me at the same time. This was also, clearly, the start of me ascribing meaning (maybe too much) to pop songs.

Before I knew and could appreciate the whole Behind The Music-tales of the punk rock, pot-smoking, groupie-shagging Go-Go's, I just dug the hits. (I later saw them when I was in college at the Taste of MN and it was a blast. Like, fer sure.) I loved that growl in Carlisle's voice and her cute lil' protruding chin and that sweet, hot smile. She was a god-awful dancer (why did she even *try*? ugh.) But she was cool as hell and her voice kicked ass.

Everytime I hear this song I think of me, at 8, thinking Existential thoughts. I fucking love this damn pop song.

Heaven is a Place on Earth

When the night falls down
I wait for you
And you come around
And the world's alive
With the sound of kids
On the street outside
When you walk into the room
You pull me close and we start to move
And we're spinning with the stars above
And you lift me up in a wave of love...

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth ?
Ooh heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh heaven is a place on earth

When I feel alone I reach for you
And you bring me home
When I'm lost at sea I hear your voice
And it carries me
In this world we're just beginning
To understand the miracle of living
Baby I was afraid before
But I'm not afraid anymore

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth ?
Ooh heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh heaven is a place on earth

No comments: