Sunday, October 29, 2006

One of the many things I miss about college...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


...is reading all those wonderful books.

Kate Silver (who I started reading at the U, and I just still love her written word and intellectuality...)was kind enough to wonder what my answers would be to the following book questions...

One book I've read more than once

This is a sad question, because I have read too many books more than once and not NEARLY enough books just the once (ones that I really want to read and know I SHOULD read). So, the long list would include: Matilda, Roald Dahl (I re-read and re-read this one an absurd amount of time when I was a wee lass); Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger; Huckleberry Fin, Mark Twain...more.........

One book I would want on a desert island
Lester Bang's complied essays in Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. My man. That crazy, brilliant fucker. Really could read some of those riffs again and again....AND, good call, Kate, it *would* inspire me to write.

One book that made me laugh
Fargo Rock City tied with Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, both by Chuck Klosterman. He writes about music and pop culture in such an (seemlingly)effortless and humorous way, it makes me jealous. (and... it makes me laugh my ass off.)

One book that made me cry
The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck Whew.

One book I wish I'd written
High Fidelity for chicks, with a female protagonist!

One book I wish had never been written
A Separate Peace. Why the fuck do they *make* kids read this in school?

One book I'm currently reading
Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House, lent to me by Big Vonnegut Fan, James (actually trying to read more. Won't bore you or frustrate myself further by listing them)

One book I've been meaning to read
SO MANY is right, Kate. This is haunting and daunting...My co-worker, Tim lent me Ham On Rye, by Charles Bukowski. I started it and I just can't get myself to keep going. It's really fucking good, but really fucking depressing.

One book that changed my life
On The Road, Jack Kerouac. That crazy, mad stream of consciousness, that Beat slang ("generation-defining," even), and it's all about travel, sex, music, drugs, commies, and friendship--what the hell else do you want outta life? Or a book?

One book that made me think

Most books I read, really (hopefully!) Best example, Sex, Art and American Culture (book of essays) by Camille Paglia. She is such a fascinating mixed bag: refreshingly positive and inspiring one second and maddeningly stubborn the next) Paglia's theories and opinions had a huge impact on the way I viewed art and feminism and sexuality.

No comments: